Monday, September 29, 2014

Fern’s Fabulous First


“I was concerned but I figured that inviting Autumn Fern to sell with me at an art show probably wouldn’t kill either of us,” said Sarah Daffodil. Daffodil enjoys spending time with Fern but Fern had never had to sit in an outdoor, full-sun art booth for six hours. Daffodil wondered if the long day would lead to agony for all. “She was delightful!” Daffodil announced after the event, “Everyone enjoyed seeing her and I’d be glad to have her with me at another art show!”

The show was one that Daffodil had done several times before at The Sautee Nacoochee Center. Daffodil sold her card sets, cornhusk dolls, necklaces, etc. Fern sold her new cornhusk sheep. Mayor Asher Ply Wood used to be Acorn Hill’s sheep maker but after finding other ways of making money that he preferred he gave his sheep making business to Fern. Fern greatly enjoys making the tiny cornhusk and wool sheep and has developed her own style. She had nine sheep at the show and sold every one of them by lunch time. “I’m really glad that I got it by lunch time because people get their lunch and they already had their sheep,” Fern said.

Because Fern behaved herself and was obedient Daffodil was able to allow her freedom to roam around the festival after the last sheep was sold. Fern made purchases, took photos of dogs and collected compliments on her 1800s costume that she was wearing. At the end of the day she was surprised to find that the indigo-colored pottery fish that she’d been eyeing had become hers. The artist who had made the fish had offered to trade it with Daffodil for one of her cornhusk dolls as a gift for Fern. “It was really fun because Sarah traded a doll for a really good fish made of clay and I bought a dog for $8. The dog was made of clay. And they gave me for free a chicken made of clay and that’s what I have to say,” said Fern.

No comments: